I admit, I’d love to have a personal stylist/shopper.
But what about the masses? Especially groups that are far-removed from great shopping and lean on the Internet to help them stay stylish and current on new products and trends?
Although I live in a shopping mecca, I find myself wishing I had a stylist to keep me up to date and help cut the lines and crazy crowds.
- Celeb Backer: None, but celebs like Cynthia Rowley often “curate” boxes
- Quality: Luxury Samples
- Goal: Send samples, get feedback, sell products
- Social: Active Twitter, strong Facebook & Blog, strong referral engine (points for referring friends)
- Celeb Backer: Kate Bosworth
- Quality: Moderate. “Costume Jewelry”
- Goal: Sell limited-edition celeb-backed jewelry at a reasonable price
- Social: Facebook community, Twitter, Blog, strong referral engine (points for referring friends)
- Celeb Backer: Kim Kardashian
- Quality: Moderate (personally i’d compare to steve madden shoes)
- Goal: Create a fashion hub that anyone can join
- Social: VERY active Facebook community, Twitter, strong referral engine (points for referring friends)
Although different in product offering and price, each service follows the same model:
1. Take a Quiz or “Style Profile”
Answer questions and choose from a variety of visual options, which determines your “style profile” (conservative, trendy, wild, etc).
2. Sign in Monthly
Each month, you will receive a curated selection of products that meet your “style profile.” However, there is always a chance to request different items, or purchase items that do not show up in your selection.
3. Make a Decision to Buy, or Get Charged
The situation here is that you MUST login each month to either buy something, or decline a purchase – or else you will be charged that month.
Why I’m Fascinated
Social Shopping = The Future?
Finding a way to showcase relevant products that fit what your consumer is looking for (and save time browsing through pages of products) is amazing, especially when it comes to Fashion. Obviously Amazon does this incredibly well, but then again, it’s Amazon.
The Products are Awesome
I’ve had great results with the products I’ve purchased. Birchbox has introduced me to killer products I wouldn’t have found otherwise.
Great Customer Service
Twitter and Facebook have resources watching and responding to questions from buyers.
Each monthly subscription service has a model built around gaining referrals through social means – full integration with Facebook, Twitter, and the like. It’s made very clear how leveraging your social networks can get you free stuff.